While some baby cots, cradles, moses baskets and toddler beds come with a mattress provided, this isn’t the case for all of them, and many parents find that the ones provided aren’t as comfortable as mattresses bought separately (this is especially true for travel cots).
How to choose the best cot mattress?
A good baby mattress is soft enough to be comfortable but the safest cot mattress is one that is FIRM.
A standard baby mattress is 25 x 52 inches in order to fit standard sized cots. If your cot isn’t the standard size you will have to look carefully when choosing which cot mattress to buy, and you might even need one custom made. The size is certainly not something that you can ignore: baby mattress measurements are important because if there is too much space between the edges of the mattress and the sides of the cot it is dangerous as body parts can get stuck. A gap of 1.5 inches (4cm) or more is considered too big and therefore a risk to your baby.
Cot mattress price
A brand new baby crib mattress doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg! You can find an inexpensive cot mattress online or in shops, and they will comply with safety regulations as they are obliged, by law, to meet certain standards in order to be sold. That said, problems can be found out later on so if you’re looking at older versions, check that the model hasn’t been recalled by simply looking online. Baby mattress price does vary, like I said, so you can find a brand new cot mattress for around £20, but they can also cost you hundreds of pounds. If you’re going to fork out more, you could consider selling it on when you have finished with it in order to make some money back. Similarly, you could use the same one for your future babies, if you plan on having more children further down the line.
Mattress comparison table
Click on each photo for more details, or see what parents thought of these mattresses below. Sizes in inches L x W x H
What parents think
Here are some comments from real moms and dads who bought these mattresses and told us what they thought…
Baby cot and toddler bed mattresses
1. Milliard crib mattress
+ Firm and extremely comfortable foam mattress
+ Silent lining (no annoying crinkling)
+ Affordable cot mattress, great value for money
– Waterproof shell can only be wiped clean and is not washable, nor very waterproof
Note: It’s worth pointing out that a mattress shell isn’t the best thing for a baby to sleep on so adding a waterproof mattress pad saves washing the mattress shell and adds comfort for your baby. It’s a great way to use this comfortable, inexpensive cot mattress without the worry of regularly washing the mattress cover itself.
2. Graco mattress Premium Foam Cot and Toddler Bed Mattress …
+ Very comfortable
+ No noise
+ Durable mattress
– This mattress arrives compact packaging so it has a strong smell, but you must leave it 48 hours to fully expand and when finished the smell has gone and it is full size (expands better without the mattress cover)
3. Twilight Spring Coil Mattress by Dream On Me
+ Waterproof layer is great for accidents
– For many families, this mattress doesn’t last as long as the manufacturer claims
4. Safety 1st Heavenly Dreams Mattress …
+ Makes noise when baby tosses and turns
+ Easy to clean
+ Lightweight (7.5 lbs)
-/+ Very firm which is safe for babies but not comfortable for toddlers (needs a mattress topper)
5. Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Mattress with Dual Sleep Surface
+ High-rated mattress is worth the money for quality and durability
+ Very durable, no signs of sagging or wear and tear with continued use as a baby and throughout toddlerhood
– Claims to be BPA free but is in fact made of polyurethane foam
Cradle, pack n play and travel cot mattresses
Smaller mattresses are great for travel cots, cradles and bassinets and any kind of pack n play or play yard.
- Babydoll Bedding 2 Inch Thick Foam Cradle Mattress
+ Great for antique cots and cradles
+ Very firm which is great for infants but comfortable also
– Makes a crinkle noise when you put baby down and when they move
– Feels cheap and therefore overpriced
Pack n Play and Play Yard mattresses
2. Folding pack n play mattress with cotton cover
+ Available in 25″ or 27″ width to find the perfect size for your Pack n Play
+ Folds and has a carry bag which makes it great for travelling and easy to store
+ Natural latex foam is extremely comfortable
– Cover is not dryer safe and takes a long time to air dry
3. Dream On Me Inner Spring Play Yard Mattress …
18″ X 36″ X 4″
38″ x 24″
MamaDoo Kids Smart Play Yard Mattress Topper …
37.5 x 26 x 1.5″